(NC) – Whip up a meal for mom that is fast, simple and includes fresh Canadian mushrooms. Canada’s Food Guide recommends adults eat 8-10 servings of Fruit & Vegetables a day. One hundred grams (100 g) of fresh mushrooms counts as 1 serving of Fruits & Vegetables. Not only are they low in calories and fat, they also provide vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants and are the only vegetable with Vitamin D.
So, this Mother’s Day serve mom a meal that the whole family can enjoy. Why not try one of these great mushroom combinations.
- Barbecued hamburgers and steak. Grill Portabella slices or chunks alongside your meat and serve as a burger topping or as a side dish with your steak. Or sauti white button, crimini or shiitake mushrooms with a little butter, season with salt and pepper and serve. A classic combination that is quick, delicious, and perfect for mom.
- Cheese. For something super quick, top whole wheat English muffin halves with provolone or havarti cheese and sliced fresh mushrooms. Broil for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
- Eggs. Toss sliced mushrooms into omelettes, frittatas and quiches. Nothing is simpler or more satisfying.
- Green salads. Make the most of your salads by adorning them with fresh mushrooms. Mushrooms add toothsome texture, flavour and extra nutrients.
- Lean white fish. Mushrooms and fish may not be the first thing you think of but once you taste this fabulous flavour pairing you’ll be happy you discovered it. Poached in a little white wine or fish stock, lemon juice and herbs, sliced mushrooms add oomph to nutritious lean white fish such as sole, haddock and tilapia.
- Polenta. Top grilled polenta with a generous spoonful of fresh sliced or chopped mushrooms, sautied in some olive oil or butter and tossed with fresh herbs such as thyme, salt, pepper and a smidgen of sherry or balsamic vinegar. Divine.
- Rice. There is nothing so elegant yet so comforting than a steaming hot bowl of creamy fresh mushroom risotto.
- Whole wheat pasta. What could be easier than cooking up a bowl of hearty whole wheat pasta? Tossing some cooked, sliced mushrooms into the pasta or even the tomato sauce adds a bonus of satisfying meaty texture and appealing taste.
- Sandwiches and Wraps. Sliced fresh mushrooms give lovely crunch and a flavour boost to sandwiches and wraps. In fact, a grilled Portabella mushroom makes a great sandwich ‘filler’ itself! Just layer the mushroom between two slices of whole grain bread and top with some cheese, herbed mayonnaise or some more fresh vegetables.
- Soup. Make canned soups more interesting and more nutritious by adding sliced fresh mushrooms. Simmer for a few minutes to soften the mushrooms if you wish.
For more mushroom recipe tips and ideas visit www.mushrooms.ca