Comfort And Flavor
(NAPSA) – Whether it’s served as a side dish, a main course or mixed with a favorite ingredient, mac & cheese is an American comfort food staple. It requires few ingredients, minimal preparation, and satisfies even the strongest comfort food cravings.
Baked Mac & Cheese is a simple but tasty adaptation of the popular pasta dish. Its creamy sauce is a blend of sharp cheddar and Gruyere cheeses with a few dashes of original Tabasco brand pepper sauce, which enhances the flavor. For an added layer of texture, this version of the classic is topped with golden, baked breadcrumbs.
So the next time you’re hit with a mac & cheese craving, think outside the box, and try this unique version of a family favorite:
- 1 box corkscrew pasta 16-ounce or mini penne
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons original Tabasco brand pepper sauce
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese sharp, shredded
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs dried, seasoned
- 1/2 teaspoon original Tabasco brand pepper sauce
- Prepare pasta as directed on label. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended and smooth. Whisk in milk, salt and Tabasco sauce, gradually. Cook until thickened and smooth, stirring often. Add cheeses to sauce and stir until melted. Toss sauce with cooked pasta in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter or margarine in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in breadcrumbs and Tabasco sauce until well blended. Spoon crumb mixture over macaroni & cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until crumbs are toasted and mixture is heated through.