Follow Your Heart To More Healthful Eating
(NAPSA) – February was a month of heartfelt observances. While many celebrated Valentine’s Day, it was also American Heart Month, a time to remember that more than 70 million Americans live with some form of heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.
To inspire positive changes in the hearts (and meals) of Americans, registered dietitian Barbara Dixon suggests focusing on adjustments that are easy to sustain over the long term, such as incorporating healthy proteins and whole grains. ‘Whole grains are important because the fiber found in unrefined whole grain foods can help lower blood cholesterol, which is key in preventing heart disease and stroke,’ says Dixon.
Dixon offers these tips for incorporating more whole grains in the diet:
- Think Beyond Breakfast – Dixon suggests brainstorming creative ways to incorporate whole grains into meals other than breakfast, such as adding brown rice to vegetable soup at lunch or, instead of using white rice, using brown rice with your vegetables and chicken for a healthy dinner stir-fry.
- Choose Brown Rice for Whole Grain Benefits – Think all rice dishes contain bad-for-you carbs and high fat content? Think again. Brown rice is the perfect side dish – providing many important health benefits. Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Whole Grain Medleys and Uncle Ben’s Fast and Natural are ready to eat in 10 minutes or less. Other Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice products are available in longer cooking varieties that can add a heart-friendly twist to a special dinner with your loved ones.
For more heart-healthy tips and delicious meal ideas, visit www.unclebens.com.
Grilled Salmon with Brown & Wild Medley
- 2 4-6 ounces each salmon filets
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 squash
- 1 package Uncle Ben’s READY WHOLE GRAIN MEDLEY Brown & Wild
- Preheat grill.
- Season salmon filets with salt and pepper and coat with vegetable oil.
- Grill salmon on both sides until fully cooked and grill marks are visible. While salmon is cooking, steam zucchini and squash (cut into half moons) until tender.
- Cook READY WHOLE GRAIN MEDLEY(tm) Brown & Wild in microwave according to package instructions. Serve medley with grilled salmon, zucchini and squash.