Pumpkins, not just for Halloween decoration!
- 2/3 cup margarine 150 ml
- 1/2 cup brown sugar 125 ml
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin cooked, 125 ml
- 1/3 cup molasses 75 ml
- 2 cups Five Roses All Purpose Flour 500 ml
- 1 tsp. baking soda 5 ml
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 5 ml
- 1 tsp. ginger 5 ml
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves 1 ml
- 1/4 tsp. salt 1 ml
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or soured milk, 150 ml
- 1/2 cup raisins or nuts, optional, 125 ml
- 1/2 cup margarine 125 ml
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar packed 300 ml
- 2 tbsp corn syrup 30 ml
- 1/2 cup whipping cream 125 ml
- In a bowl, with electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin and molasses.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in raisins or nuts, if desired.
- Pour into greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan; smooth top with knife.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with Caramel Sauce.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt margarine. Stir in sugar and syrup. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Stir in whipping cream, return to boil. Remove from heat.