Get Ghoulishly Creative This Halloween
by Nancy Siler, Baking and Entertainment Expert
(NAPSA) – While spooky decorations and dazzling costumes make Halloween a holiday for all ages, candy and sweets take center stage during this fall fiesta.
According to the National Confectioners Association, October 31 is the candy industry’s top holiday. From parties to trick-or-treating, Halloween is a sweet time for the entire family.
The trick to the treats this time of year is to keep it simple and cost-effective. Halloween goodies are often shared in large quantities, so a batch of brownies just won’t do.
Purchasing candy from the store can often be expensive and may not impress those ghouls and ghosts you know best. Here’s a fun treat idea the whole neighborhood will claw over: Marshmallow Treat Pops. They are a fun Halloween activity for the whole family. For my mallow pops, all you’ll need is:
- Candy Melts (white, orange, light cocoa or dark cocoa)
- colored sugars Assorted
- Halloween icing decorations Assorted
- 4 6-8 inch Lollipop sticks
- Start by having the kids insert lollipop sticks into the marshmallows. Melt Candy Melts according to package directions; depending upon children's age, an adult may need to handle this. While holding marshmallows by the sticks, dip into melted candy and gently tap to remove any excess. Everyone can get in on the act as you sprinkle or dip the pops into different colored sugars or place icing decorations onto the soft candy coating.
- Place the finished pops on parchment or waxed paper-covered cookie sheets. Refrigerate to set for about 10 minutes and your treats will be ready for Freddy.
- Here are some fun serving suggestions: stick the pops in a small carved pumpkin, or place in orange or black mugs. For office parties or a spooky gift, put the pops in a decorative jack-o-lantern and fill the base with candy corn.
- Whether you're hosting 20 kids for tricks and treats or 20 adults for a crazy costume party, there are so many fun things you can create for a 'spook-tacular' get-together.