(NAPSA) – The cranberry’s beautiful deep-red color and tangy taste makes this ‘wonderberry’ one of the most versatile ingredients for kitchen creations, from sweet Halloween treats to savory turkeys.
When Halloween season creeps in, send your little goblins and princesses off to their haunted house parties with some festive Craisins(r) Halloween treats in hand, such as Ooglie Eyeballs brownie desserts. Or serve refreshing Ghoulishly Grape Punch, made with Ocean Spray(r) Cran-Grape(r), after a long night of trick-or-treating. For the Halloween party hostess, bring a festive tray of Cranberry Nut Bars.
When the fall holiday focus turns to Thanksgiving, let cranberries take center stage. One way to guarantee a moist flavorful bird is to use the White Cranberry Brined Turkey recipe. As a complement, try Ocean Spray’s simple Homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe.
One of the best things about Thanksgiving is the leftovers. More than 67 percent of people eat a post-Thanksgiving Day turkey sandwich, and 47 percent of those sandwiches include cranberry sauce.
Cranberries add nutrition to any meal as they have more disease-fighting anti-oxidants per gram than most other fruit and they contain proanthocyanidins, or PACs, all-natural compounds that keep certain bacteria from sticking in the body.
Visit www.oceanspray.com for great recipes and meal-planning tips. In November, you can request a copy of Ocean Spray’s ’12 Months of Cranberry’ booklet.
- 1 64-ounce bottle Ocean Spray Cran-Grape Grape Cranberry Juice Drink chilled, r, r
- 4 cups grape-flavored ginger ale chilled
- 1 pint lime sherbet or sorbet
- Combine juice drink and ginger ale in a large punch bowl. Spoon scoops of sherbet into bowl
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups Ocean Spray Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- Beat eggs in a medium mixing bowl until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour and melted butter; blend well.
- Add cranberries and walnuts, mixing gently just until combined. Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into bars.
- 2 64-ounce bottles Ocean Spray White Cranberry Juice Drink
- 1 gallon Water
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 8 to 12-pound whole turkey neck and giblets reserved for another use
- Mix all ingredients, except turkey, in a 13 1/2-quart stockpot until salt and sugar are mostly dissolved.
- Submerge turkey in brine. Refrigerate turkey in covered stockpot for 12 to 18 hours.
- Discard brine. Dry turkey with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Roast unstuffed turkey for 2 3/4 to 3 hours or until internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 F.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 12-ounce package Ocean Spray Fresh Cranberries or Frozen, rinsed and drained
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil; add cranberries, return to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving time.