Flavorful Onions Offer Many Sweet Rewards
(NAPSA) – The benefits of cooking with onions can be sweet and may even win you a prize.
Vidalia onions, grown only in Georgia, don’t just add zest to meals. At only 30 calories per serving, sodium-, fat- and cholesterol-free onions provide dietary fiber and potassium and are an excellent source of vitamins C and B-6.
Cooking with onions could also win you a prize in the Very Vidalia(r) Recipe Contest, which runs from May 1 through August 17, 2007. All you need to do is submit an original recipe using Vidalia onions. The first-prize winner will choose between flying to Orlando for a fun summer vacation getaway or having chef Jon Ashton fly to his or her hometown to prepare a sweet summertime grilled feast for the winner’s family.
The recipe can be an appetizer, snack, side dish, entree or dessert. Official entry forms are found at www.VidaliaOnion.org. Ashton enjoys cooking with Vidalia onions and here’s one of his favorite recipes:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 Vidalia onion sliced and grilled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese sharp, grated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons basil fresh, minced
- 1 large egg
- Preheat grill until it reaches 350 F.
- Cut the Vidalia onion into long thin slices and grill until tender and caramelized. Caramelizing the onion will bring out its sweet flavor even more.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the caramelized Vidalia onion with ricotta cheese and grated, sharp cheddar cheese, flour, minced basil and egg. Mix ingredients well and season with salt and pepper. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill the mixture.
- Wash and pat the chicken breasts dry and cut a 2-inch horizontal slit in thickest part of each chicken breast. Stuff an equal amount of the Vidalia onion and cheese mixture into each of the four chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper. Secure the chicken breasts with a toothpick.
- Place the stuffed chicken breasts in refrigerator until ready to grill. Spray chicken with olive oil and place on grill and cover. Grill for approximately 5 minutes per side. When chicken is pierced with a fork and juices run clear, it is done.