(NC) – Making a brief appearance from late July to September, Ontario peaches are conquering new culinary territory as a major player in summer salads, salsas, barbecue grills and summer drinks. Their popularity comes from the fresh tree-ripened taste that can only be found in locally grown fruit.
Adding peaches to a sandwich creates a sweet, moist and fat-free layer. In place of layering, mix the ingredients for a salad-style filling. Ciabatta is Italian bread with a soft interior and a crisp, thin crust; its name means ‘slipper’ in Italian, referring to the loaf’s shape.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt 125 mL
- 1 tbsp mint chopped, fresh, 15 mL
- 1 tbsp basil chopped, fresh, 15 mL
- 1 tsp granulated sugar 5 mL
- 1 tbsp red onion minced, 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
- 1 large Ciabatta loaf rectangular
- 4 to 6 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 lb chicken grilled, sliced, 500 g
- 2 Ontario Peaches peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 avocado ripe, peeled, pitted and sliced
- In medium bowl, whisk yogurt, mint, basil, sugar, onion, salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Cut loaf lengthwise. Layer lettuce along length of bottom slice; repeat with chicken, peaches and avocado. Spread yogurt mixture on cut side of top slice; place top slice over layered filling. Cut loaf into 4 pieces.