Healthy Idea: Kick The Kids Off The Couch!
(NAPSA) – Studies show that over the course of a year, children spend more time watching TV than they do in school or participating in any activity other than sleeping. To break the couch habit, you can look for budget-friendly outdoor activities or healthy at-home alternatives.
A few ideas might include a day at the zoo or hiking and swimming. And because activities can work up an appetite, you can ‘cook up’ some recipes that the whole family can create together. Here’s a nutritious recipe that’s modeled after kids’ favorite restaurant foods using Sanderson Farms 100 percent Natural Chicken. It has no added sodium, which is so important to health-conscious families these days:
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 8 ounces processed cheese made with 2 percent milk
- 6 Sanderson Farms chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons adobo seasoning or any low-sodium seasoned salt
- 4 8- inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared mild tomato salsa
- In a small saucepan, heat the skim milk over medium heat and whisk in the processed cheese until the mixture thickens.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat. Cover the cheese sauce with plastic wrap so it touches the surface of the sauce. This keeps the sauce from forming a thin film over the top. Set aside.
- Preheat gas grill or grill pan with medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a resealable bag, combine chicken tenders with canola oil and adobo seasoning.
- Massage chicken through the bag, evenly coating the tenders with spices.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Remove from heat and dice.
- Place tortillas on a metal sheet pan; layer half of each tortilla with shredded cheese, diced chicken, salsa and more shredded cheese. Fold in half.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cut into handheld triangle pieces. Serve with low-fat cheese dipping sauce.