Chai Masala Sipper
(NC) - Surprise Mom with breakfast in bed this Mother's Day. Create a simple menu starring this comforting and aromatic tea-based beverage - easy enough for dads and kids to prepare together. Real cream with a hint of vanilla adds rich smoothness.
- 1 bottle Dairyland French Vanilla Creama 400 mL
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 2 cm cinnamon sticks about 6 inches/15each
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh ginger root 25 mL
- 2 tsp fennel or anise seed 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns 2 mL
- 5 cups boiling water 1.25 L
- 3 black tea bags
- nutmeg or ground cinnamon freshly ground, optional
- freshly ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon optional
- Combine the Creama, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, ginger, fennel, cloves and pepper in a heavy saucepan set over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the cream. Meanwhile, pour the boiling water over the tea bags; steep for 5 minutes or until of desired strength.
- Strain and discard the spices from the hot Creama mixture; stir into the steeped tea. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon (if using) before serving.
Tip: For a cafi experience, remove 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the strained Creama mixture and froth with a milk frother until foamy. Spoon over the top and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. More recipes can be found online at www.dairyland.ca/ProductFamily_Creama.aspx.