(NAPSA) – Sangria tastes great on its own, but when it goes to work poaching Chilean apples and pears, the result is an impressive dessert.
It’s easy to poach fresh fruits in a blend of rose wine (preferably from Chile) and citrus juices. For another deliciously simple treat, try Roasted Chilean Apples and Pears.
Gala, Fuji, Braeburn and Granny Smith are among the 40-plus Chilean apple varieties shipped fresh to the U.S. In addition to popular Bartlett, Bosc and D’Anjou pears, we can enjoy several kinds of juicy Asian pears from Chile.
Natural barriers such as the Andes Mountains protect Chile’s fruit orchards from extreme weather. Apples thrive in the fertile Central Valley and, in pear-growing zones, temperature swings between night and day are just right to grow outstanding fruit. Thanks to these conditions, the season stretches from February to November for apples and January to April for pears-allowing plenty of time to sample different varieties.
For more information, visit www.cffausa.org.
Sangria Poached Apples and Pears
- 3 medium-sized Chilean apples
- 3 medium-sized Chilean pears
- 2 cups rose wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 strips clementine zest, or orange
- 3 strips lemon zest
- 2 clementines, or oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Peel and core the apples and pears; cut into wedges.
- In a small saucepan, combine wine, sugar and zest; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add apples and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add pears and cook until fruit is tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a glass bowl; cool to room temperature. Gently stir clementine sections into fruit; cover and chill.
Roasted Chilean Apples and Pears
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium-sized Chilean apples, cored, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium-sized Chilean pears, cored, cut into thin wedges
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Melt jelly and butter.
- Place fruit in small nonstick baking pan. Drizzle with jelly mixture; toss to coat.
- Roast until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon over cake or ice cream and top with whipped cream, if desired.