(NC) – Running from mid-July to early September, Ontario peach season is an annually anticipated event. Packed in their signature baskets, the sweet and juicy fruit are a perfect addition to summer desserts. This Caramel Peach Poutine adds a sweet twist to a savoury French Canadian favourite.
Instead of fries, cheese curds and gravy, make a traditional poutine with sweet Ontario peach slices, decadent Mascarpone cheese and a golden caramel sauce. For more recipe ideas visit www.ontariotenderfruit.com
Don’t forget to double the recipe for seconds!
- 6 Ontario peaches sliced 6
- 2 tbsp Cointreau 30 mL
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese 250 mL
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar 50 mL
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon 2 mL
- 1 lemon Zest only
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1 mL
- 1 cup vanilla caramel squares 250 mL
- 1/4 cup whipping cream 35%, 50 mL
- 2 tsp vanilla 10 mL
- 2 tsp butter 10 mL
- In bowl, gently toss peach slices with Cointreau. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- In bowl, combine Mascarpone with sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt caramels with whipping cream. Stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- In non-stick skillet, heat butter over medium high heat. Add peaches and saute just until heated through and lightly golden.
- Arrange peaches over 4 dessert plates. Sprinkle with cheese mixture. Drizzle with hot caramel sauce. Serve immediately.