No Lie! February Is National Cherry Month
(NAPSA) – It’s time for a jubilee because February is National Cherry Month. The ruby-red color of cherries is perfect for patriotic celebrations on Presidents’ Day, romantic offerings on Valentine’s Day or any special occasion during the month.
There is no limit to using delicious cherries in pies, salads, side dishes, appetizers and even main courses.
Cherries won the hearts of Americans long ago. European settlers brought cherry pits, which they planted as soon as they arrived in the New World. Today, the U.S. grows 250 to 300 million pounds of tart cherries each year.
This easy cherry-filled dessert is a luscious option for any special occasion:
- 1 package angel food cake mix 16 oz.
- 1/2 cup cocoa unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons hot fudge topping divided
- 2 cups Whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream, divided
- 1 can cherry pie filling divided, 20 or 21 oz.
- Mix dry cake mix ingredients with cocoa. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Bake in a 10-inch tube pan in a preheated 350 F oven as directed on package. Let cool as package directs.
- When cake has cooled completely, carefully remove from pan. Cut horizontally in half. Place bottom half, cut side up, on serving plate. Spread with 3/4 cup fudge topping. (Do not heat fudge topping.) Cover with 1 cup whipped topping, then half of the cherry pie filling.
- Place top half of cake over cherries, cut side down. Spread with 3/4 cup fudge topping. Cover with remaining 1 cup whipped topping and cherry pie filling. If you have extra pie filling, put it in the center of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour. Just before serving, warm remaining 2 tablespoons fudge topping and drizzle over top of cake.