(NC) Enjoy a fibre-rich treat made with protein-packed adzuki beans. The light, creamy texture is complemented perfectly by the dense chocolate flavour, making this recipe from Ontario Bean Growers worth a try.
- ¾ cup dried adzuki beans 175 mL
- ½ cup peanut butter 125 mL
- 1 cup maple syrup 250 mL
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 10 mL
- ¼ tsp salt 1 mL
- 1½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 375 mL
- ½ cup butter, melted 125 mL
- 4-5 cups fresh water 1-1.25 L
- In a medium sauce pan, add adzuki beans and cover with enough water to fully submerge by at least 1 inch. Soak 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Drain and replace with water. Over high-heat, bring to a boil. Reduce to low and allow to simmer for 1.5 hours, or until beans are very soft. As the water boils down, you may need to add more to keep beans s Once cooked, drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Line a 8x8-inch (20x20-cm) cake pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add warm beans; blend until smooth and no clumps remain. Add peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Pulse until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl add bean mixture, cocoa powder and melted butter; mix until well combined.
- Press into lined cake pan; refrigerate 1 hour before slicing into 2-inch squares.
Find more recipes online at ontariobeans.on.ca.