Soup with Attitude
(NAPSI) – Cold winter evenings beg for a bowl of hearty soup. So when you’re craving something warm and satisfying, cook up a batch of Spicy Mexican Peanut Soup.
Be prepared, this is not your classic peanut soup. This is soup with attitude! Zesty green chilies, spicy crushed red pepper flakes, tangy tomatoes and chunks of chicken all harmonize together in a creamy base with the distinctive, yet subtle flavor of peanut butter. Rich and comforting, it will leave you feeling satisfied for hours and needs only a simple green salad and warm bread to round out the meal. And when you make it, why not cook three batches – one for now, one for the freezer and one to share?
Spicy Mexican Peanut Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Chicken:, chopped, cooked
- 2 14 1/2 oz cans tomatoes, peeled, diced with green chilies
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, or parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is transparent.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, peanut butter, salt and red pepper flakes. Heat, stirring occasionally, until peanut butter is melted. Blend in buttermilk and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro or parsley.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls and garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts.