- 1 cup water 250mL
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Lactantia butter 125mL
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250mL
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup smoked ham finely chopped, 125mL
- 1 cup Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese finely grated, 250mL
- 1 cup Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese coarsely grated, 250mL
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly over low heat until mixture forms a ball and comes away from the side of the pan. Cool for 3 minutes off heat. Add eggs one at a time, beating with spoon until fully incorporated into the mix. Stir in ham and finely grated Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese.
- Use two tablespoons (30 mL) to place walnut-sized balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheet. Wet fingers and gently flatten tops of the gougeres. Dough may also be piped onto parchment to form 2-inch (5 cm) diameter rings.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining coarsely grated Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes. Cover lightly with foil if they seem to be browning too quickly. Serve warm.
Tip: Can be made ahead of time and frozen.