(NC) – Easy and elegant, many appetizers can be prepared in a pinch, without leaving your wallet pinched.
- Keep the menu simple with olives, cheese, crackers and assorted nuts… include toasted walnuts to really get into the spirit of the season.
- Mix ready-made appetizers with homemade ones to keep the prep work simple and the food tasting delicious.
- Add a twist to staple starters – rather than using pumpernickel as a base for smoked salmon, spread flavoured cream cheese over cucumber slices and top with the salmon.
- Have basics on hand and you can whip up a last-minute party platter in no time: roasted red peppers, bread sticks, pesto, olive oil, prosciutto, olives and tapenade.
- If the hors d’oeuvres are the highlight of the party, consider heartier snacks, such as mini-sandwiches, meat skewers or a cheese fondue.
- Many appetizers can be prepared ahead of time. Organize vegetable and dip trays, prep the ingredients for your canapes, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Don’t forget to stock bar basics, or keep your drink offerings simple by sticking with wine and a holiday cocktail.
More delicious recipe ideas can be found online at www.walnutinfo.com.