(NC) Have a bit of fun with these corn dogs from Ontario Bean Growers featuring all-beef wieners coated in a cornmeal and white bean batter then deep fried until golden-brown.
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal 250 ml
- ¼ cup flour 60 ml
- 3 tbsp white sugar 45 ml
- 1 tbsp baking powder 15 ml
- ¼ tsp salt 1 ml
- 1 cup buttermilk 250 ml
- 1 cup white kidney beans puréed, 250 ml
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp canola oil 30 ml
- ¼ cup cornstarch for dredging, 60 ml
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 6- inch wood sticks
- In a medium pot, add 4 inches (10 cm) of canola oil and heat to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to combine. Add buttermilk, puréed beans, egg and canola oil; stir until batter is combined.
- Place each hot dog on stick — the sticks must be wood as they will be deep fried. In a shallow bowl, add cornstarch. Roll hot dogs in cornstarch and shake off any excess.
- Pour batter into a tall glass. Working in batches of two, dip hot dogs in batter, turning stick slowly as you remove to ensure batter stays on. Immediately place into oil and cook until batter is golden-brown, about 3 to 4 minutes or until corndog floats. With tongs, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with your choice of condiments.
Find more recipes online at ontariobeans.on.ca.