It's Like Getting 5 Cookbooks in 1
- 179 Pastas and Sauces
- 241 Meat, Poultry, and Fish Entrees
- 158 Vegetable Dishes
- 179 Desserts
And Much More!
Celebrate Italian Cooking with this authoritative and engaging tribute. Author Michele Scicolone offers simple recipes for delicious classics such as lasagne, minestrone, chicken cutlets, and gelato, plus many more of your favorites; a wealth of modern dishes, such as grilled scallop salad; and a traveler's odyssey of regional specialties from the northern hills of Piedmont to the sun-drenched islands of Sicily and Sardinia. Whether giving expert advice on making a frittata or risotto, selecting Italian ingredients, or pairing Italian wines with food, Scicolone enlivens each page with rich details of Italian food traditions. This book is a treasury to turn to for any occasion.
Praise for 1,000 Italian Recipes
'Michele Scicolone has written the best all-encompassing Italian cookbook to hit the shelves in years. Her recipes are accessible and beautifully written, and the result is a masterpiece of traditional and nontraditional Italian cookery. This tome is pure inspiration.'
- Mario Batali, Chef/Owner of Babbo, Lupa, Esca, Otto, and Casa Mono (New York), and host of Food Network's Molto Mario
'The broad range of recipes and wealth of information on Italian food found in 1,000 Italian Recipes confirms why Michele Scicolone was the only chef we would go to when we wanted to do our Sopranos Family Cookbook.'
- David Chase, Creator/Executive Producer,The Sopranos
'A must-have for any serious Italian cook.'
- Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, Chef, Restaurateur, Cookbook Author, and Host of PBS's Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
From the Inside Flap
Do you make the best pasta sauce in town, but still look for new ideas for Sunday dinner? Do you long for the flavorful produce, crispy yet chewy bread, and rich, creamy gelato you tasted in Italy? Now you can satisfy any craving with this unrivaled tribute to Italian cuisine, packed with recipes to please every palate and cater to every occasion.
Feeling tired and rushed on a weekday? Make fresh tomato sauce in the time it takes to boil water and cook the pasta. Or throw together tuna salad with white beans and arugula greens for a hearty, healthy lunch or dinner within minutes.
For special occasions, find a wonderful range of fish dishes for Lent or Christmas Eve, succulent lamb for Easter, and an amazing array of holiday cookies. For a festive gathering of family and friends, cook up Italian specialties like cannelloni, roast pork loin, and sauteed spinach with garlic. Then relax over a good espresso and a luscious mixed berry mascarpone tart. Celebrate the seasons with refreshing salads in the spring, grilled chicken and meats in summer, hearty, warming soups in autumn, and baked pastas in winter... the possibilities for fabulous meals are endless.
With expert guidance on special techniques in addition to the recipes, you'll learn to make crispy pizza, delicate ravioli, and decadent tiramis'. Advice on buying ingredients and pairing Italian wines with food makes shopping simple. Now you can enjoy all your favorite Italian delights and explore new ones in your own home.
In 1,000 Italian Recipes, you'll find:
- Italian Favorites (with plenty of variations): bruschette, panini, lasagne, pizze, calzoni, risotti, and biscotti
- Comfort Foods: Pasta and Beans ('pasta fazool'); Escarole and Little Meatball Soup; Eggplant Parmigiana; Stuffed Artichokes
- Regional Specialties: Tuscan Fish Soup; Piedmontese Spiced Roast Duck; Linguine with Sicilian Pesto; Roman Stuffed Tomatoes
- Easy Italian: Pasta with Peas and Eggs; Skewered Tuna with Orange; Sliced Steak with Arugula; Lamb Chops with White Wine
- Vegetarian Delights: Rigatoni with Eggplant Ragu; Asparagus Risotto; Fava Beans with Greens; Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley
- Tempting Antipasti: Garlic Toasts; Roasted Peppers; Montasio Cheese Crisps; Tuna-Stuffed Peppers; Lemon Meatballs
- Celebration Dishes: Fig and Melon with Prosciutto; Green and White Cannelloni; Braised Quail; Stuffed Breast of Veal; Zucchini Flans
- Irresistible Desserts: Grilled Summer Fruit; Lemon Gelato; Ricotta Cheesecake; Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
Whether you are looking for the perfect resource for everyday and holiday cooking, or imagine exploring all the glories of Italian cuisine one recipe at a time, you'll never need to look beyond these pages for simple, varied, and mouthwatering inspiration.
In Torino in Peidmont, I ate big mushrooms caps filled with chopped mushrooms, prosciutto, and a creamy sauce. Here is a much simpler stuffed mushroom that has some of the same flavor characteristics from the creamy, fresh cheese and salty prosciutto. Serve one per person as a hot appetizer or cut them into quarters for guests to share.