(NC) – ‘After an active day in the great outdoors, everyone will have an appetite for a hearty meal,’ says Pat Gray, director of marketing, Coleman Canada. ‘Camp cooking can be easy as long as you plan in advance, keep it simple and bring along the right tools.’
- Keep most meal preparations to a minimum by bringing prepared or one-dish dinners that can be warmed up and served with a cool salad and bread.
- Measure and combine dry ingredients in advance. Remember to label them!
- Frequent campers should create a camp kitchen pack complete with dishes, pots and utensils, so that these items are always ready to go.
- Invest in handy tools like the new Coleman Road Trip Fold N Go Grill – it gives home chefs the freedom to take their culinary skills outside and cook up favourites such as burgers, brats and Mexican Beef Skewers, without depending on a campfire.
- Bring lids for pots and cookware. They allow food to cook faster and keep foods warm while you prepare other menu items.
- Consider making some meals in advance at home. A quality cooler, like Coleman’s 25 Qt Party Stacker Cooler, will keep chili, stews and spaghetti sauce fresh for several days – ready to be reheated at the campsite.
- Place your cooler in the shade and cover it with a wet white towel to keep contents cooler longer.
- Throw a tarp over your cooking area before you go to bed. This will protect your gear from dew, dust and rain.
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 pounds round steak cut into thin strips about 6 inches long
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges
- In a shallow dish, combine the onion, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cilantro, oil, lime juice and bay leaves.
- Place beef strips in the marinade and stir to coat. Pour into double resealable plastic bags and chill at least 4 hours, or overnight.
At the Campsite:
- Prepare the Coleman Road Trip Fold N Go Grill. Thread strips of marinated meat onto skewers, drizzling them with any remaining marinade.
- Grill the skewers, turning them frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the skewers to a serving plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve with lime wedges.