(NC) – This soup is a perfect balance of sweet from the sweet potato, earthy from the almonds and heat from the smoky chipotle – good for you too! A great weekend lunch or light dinner with crusty bread and a simple salad or serve in little sake or espresso cups for a cocktail party.
Active prep time: 40 minutes (including 20 min simmer). 90 minutes with sweet potato roasting time.
Developed for the Almond Board of California by James Beard cookbook ‘Dish Entertains: Everyday Simple to Special Occasions‘ award winner and party dish TV host Trish Magwood
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes (>3 lb, 1.3 g)
- 3 tbsp canola oil or butter 45 mL
- 2 medium onions cooking, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine 250 mL
- 1 in chipotle pepperadobo sauce finely minced, adobo sauce reserved
- 6 tbsp ground almonds 90 mL
- 6-8 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1.4-1.8 L, or water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup 60 mL, or honey or to taste
- almonds Slivered, roasted for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).Line baking sheet with foil. Place whole sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Bake until soft when pierced with a knife (over 1 hour). Let cool. Peel and discard skin and rough chop.
- Heat oil or butter over medium heat in large heavy soup pot. Cook onions 7 minutes stirring often or until translucent.
- Add white wine. When liquid has evaporated, add chipotle and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground almonds. Stir. Add sweet potatoes and stir. Add enough cold stock to cover.
- Turn heat up to medium high. Once boiling, reduce, simmer covered for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, puree soup until smooth. Stir in maple syrup to taste and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with roasted slivered almonds.