Recently I was asked, by a member of my family, for cupcakes rather than a full size cake for their birthday treat. Although I was of course willing to indulge them on their special day, I didn’t see the point. Cupcakes to me are just little cakes, what does the size matter?
Oh I was so wrong. Before the big day, I was lucky enough to receive Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans to review. In 144 pages Elinor showed me the error of my thinking. Not only are cupcakes tiny versions of big cakes but there just as many variations and creative ways to make them as there are different kinds of cake. Maybe even more.
Cupcakes! begins with a chapter called Making Good Cupcakes which covers what you need to know about supplies, ingredients, mixing and baking, storing and freezing, transporting cupcakes and of course decorating them. The clear concise writing makes it easy to understand yet with enough detail to help even the most experienced baker.
Recipes are divided into four categories: Head-Start Recipes; Classic Cupcakes; Filled Cupcakes; and Celebration Cupcakes. More than 50 recipes, many with full page full colour photos of the delicious cupcakes, are included. There truly is a cupcake recipe for every occasion and everyone in the family. The rest of the book includes Mail-Order Sources, the Table of Equivalents and Index.
Finding one recipe to include was difficult so I thought instead to use one simple frosting recipe which I know many will enjoy.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 stick
- 6 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth and thoroughly blended, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.
- Add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth, about 1 minute, then beat on medium speed for 1 minute to lighten the frosting further.
- The frosting is ready to use, or for flavor additions.
About the Reviewer:
Chris Sadler is Owner and WebAdmin of The RecipesNow.com
Recipes Database and Easy-Bake Oven Recipes and Resources
EBORecipes.com . Become a member to receive the weekly
newsletter alert: http://www.RecipesNow.com
Download FREE eBooks at: http://www.RecipesNow.com/Free
For kid's recipes visit: http://www.EBORecipes.com