Described as “little balls of potato magic”, “Tater Tots” are the ultimate leftover. Tots! is dedicated to the myriad ways you can eat a potato tot.
Many people grew up enjoying the potato tot, but even those who have never heard of it maybe find a new taste delight here. Whether you choose to make your own or buy them, you will find a recipe for all occasions.
After a very brief introduction, the book is divided into five chapters:
- Tot Basics
- Tot’Petizer‘s: Small Bites With Big Flavor
- Tot O’ The Morning To You: Tots At The Breakfast Table
- Tot-Ally Satisfying: Tots In The Main Attraction
- Sweet Tots For Your Sweet Tooth: Tots Do Dessert
Starting with Choosing Your Tots, Tot Basics explains the different kinds of tots. This also includes a quick defrosting frozen tots tip.
Moving on to Cooking Your Tots, the pan fry, deep fry, and baked options are discussed. If you want Homemade Tots, two recipes are provided for both potato and veggie versions.
Rounding out the end of the Tot Basics chapter are several easy recipes for Seasonings, Sauces, And Dips.
Each of the recipes throughout the book includes a brief description, serving size, and easy to read instructions. Several also include variations or notes in order to refine or personalize the recipe.
Several of the recipes throughout the book include a lovely full-page picture. There is even a timeline of potato tots Included.
Funny And Innovative
The author’s sense of humor is delightful. Throughout the book, it is on full display, as evidenced by simply looking at the chapter names.
Having been one of those people who did not grow up on potato tots, I found all of this new and interesting. I’ll probably start out with store-bought, but I will definitely want to try some of the recipes with homemade as well.
The one thing I found very surprising was the recipe for eclairs. It never occurred to me that you could make them with potatoes.
For the included recipe I thought I would go with an adorable snack, Cheeseburger Tot Sliders. Enjoy!
Tots! - Cheeseburger Tot Sliders - Review
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef 85% lean
- kosher salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 4 slices American cheese
- ketchup for serving
- mustard for serving
- 16 gherkins for serving
- Place the tots on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle them with the oil. Toss the tots gently to coat evenly with the oil, then spread them out in an even layer. Bake, undisturbed, until they are browned on the bottom, 15 minutes. Flip the tots with a spatula and bake until they are browned and crisp on top, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, form and cook the burgers: line a clean work surface with a sheet of waxed paper and put the ground beef on top. Put another sheet of waxed paper on top of the beef and press it down into a 4 x 6“ rectangle. Remove the top piece of wax and season the meat with salt and pepper. Cut the meat into 16 1 by 1 1/2" rectangles. Break each slice of cheese into quarters and fold each quarter over to make 16 pieces of double thick cheese.
- Remove the tots "buns" from the oven and top half with the cooked burger patties. Squeeze a tiny bit of ketchup and mustard on to each burger, then top with the gherkin. Finally, poke a skewer through the center of each of the remaining tot buns, place it on top of one of the burger stacks, and stab the skewer all the way through the center to make a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining tots buns and burgers.
- Serve hot (if not serving immediately, reheat them on a baking sheet in the oven at 200 F for 5 minutes).