Rather than having to purchase the overly preserved and processed quick meals in the supermarket, you can make your own meal in a bag. Chapter One describes what A Meal In A Bag is, then goes on to describe how to Assemble Your Meals In A Bag, what Materials, Bags And Sizes, and Powdered Substitutions you will need.
Chapter 2 is “Storing Your Meals“. It includes information on what will cause a problem with your Long-Term Storage and information on Shelf Life.
“No-boil Noodles And Spiraling” is covered in Chapter 3. This explains how to create your own No-Boil Instant Noodles, and discusses Spiralized Fruits And Vegetables. I like that throughout the instructions there are Fun Tips to help you along and Pro Tips which give you the tricks of the trade.
With Chapter 4 comes the beginning of the recipes. Recipe chapters include:
- Appetizers And Dips
- Pour And Go Meals
- Meals In A Bag
- Desserts In A Bag
- Bread In A Bag
- Breakfast In A Bag
- Prepackaged Variety Pack Oatmeal
- Backpacker Meals And Snacks
There are only a very few photos, all are found in the middle of the book. The recipes all include a brief introduction, yield, and simple instructions. Many of the recipes are small enough that they fit two on a page.
I was quite surprised by the variety recipe types and flavors available. I was expecting something very basic flavor-wise, and have been pleasantly surprised.
This book is not for somebody new to dehydrated food. It is excellent for anybody who wants to be able to take their dehydrator to the next level. These ideas and recipes would be an excellent way to create quick easy meals without the overly processed food you get in the supermarket. If you are a survivalist, like to go camping or hiking, or are someone who wants to keep stocked up on tasty food in case of an emergency, you will need want book.
For the included recipe have chosen the Apricot Chicken, which looks very moist and juicy. Enjoy!
- 2 cups apricots dehydrated, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots dehydrated, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic dehydrated, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- Place all ingredients into large bag, sealed, and label with cooking instructions.
- Please ingredients from large bag into a pot. Add water and butter, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat all of oil over medium heat, Place chicken breasts in skillet, and Brown each side 45 minutes until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Spoon apricot mixture over each chicken breast and serve.