(NAPSA) – With millions of Americans hitting the road this summer, health-conscious consumers are seeking fast, affordable and healthy menu options.
Many of your favorite restaurant companies are making it easier for travelers to watch their waistlines. Here are some lifestyle tips for those wishing to keep it balanced on the road:
- Stop at restaurants that offer many options. When you are on the go, restaurants such as Taco Bell and KFC offer a variety of menu choices that can be part of a sensibly balanced diet. Taco Bell offers a Fresco menu, including eight items with 9 grams of fat or less. And KFC’s new Kentucky Grilled Chicken is lower in calories and fat.Families can also enjoy lower-calorie menu options at Pizza Hut, including the Fit ‘N Delicious lower-fat pizza and the Natural, a pizza made with all-natural ingredients. Long John Silver’s offers a Freshside Grille menu, featuring grilled shrimp, salmon and tilapia, along with mixed vegetables and rice for under 350 calories. These can be great options for the health conscious. You can also find in-store brochures with nutritional information or visit the company’s Web sites.
- Pick your sides wisely. Include fruit or a small side salad with your meal for extra nutrients. Ordering regular-sized food and drink and sharing fries can also reduce your calorie intake.
- Exercise where you can. In order to help people exercise and stay active while traveling, the fitness experts at eFIT4Me recommend the following tips:
- break at a rest stop every two hours and use walking paths;
- strive to walk at least 30 minutes a day while on vacation;
- if the hotel has a gym on-site, plan to exercise during free time once a day;
- pack a resistance band to use for bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder presses and resisted squats.
To learn more about the importance of fitness and nutrition in a balanced lifestyle, visit the Web site www.keepitbalanced.com. Consult your physician before beginning any exercise regimen.