(NAPSA) – For many of us, a meal is not complete without a sweet ending. Fortunately, eating a healthier diet does not mean having to give up desserts.
Choose all your ingredients carefully and make a few simple substitutions, and it’s easier than you might imagine to create tasty, decadent treats with significantly less calories and fat. Here are a few tips to help:
- Use low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt in place of sour cream.
- Try low-fat versions of half-and-half or cream cheese to reduce fat.
- Use egg substitute in place of fresh eggs to lower calories and fat, or use two egg whites in place of one whole egg.
- Choose recipes with cocoa; it is naturally fat-free.
- Select fresh or frozen fruit for a sweet ending to the day. Serve with fat-free whipped topping and a few toasted nuts for a special touch.
- Traditional recipes for such mouthwatering desserts as cheesecake and Bananas Foster have a high share of calories from sugar and fat. By substituting Karo Lite Syrup for original Karo syrup, you can easily reduce calories. This simple substitution can work in a variety of your favorite Karo recipes with the same great results.
Although Karo Lite Syrup is great for most dessert recipes, for best results in candy and no-bake cereal bars, use original Karo Light or Dark Corn Syrup.
For pecan and pumpkin pie recipes, visit www.karosyrup.com.