Television personality Chef D, the corporate chef for Piller’s Fine Foods (a Waterloo, Ontario company) recommends the following elements for the perfect charcuterie platter this holiday season.
- Dry-cured salamis, like Piller’s Charcuterie Alpen or Cervelat salami
- Piller’s Charcuterie Westphalian Ham
- Aged cheddars, three to seven years old, complement dry-cured salamis
- Triple cream brie and raw milk goat cheese also go well.
- Westphalian Ham (one of three new hand-crafted artisanal meats from Piller’s) wraps nicely around parmesan cheese.
- Whole wheat, seven-grain, or sun dried tomato flat breads
- Savoury crisps
- Chardonnays pair amazingly well because they are aged in oak and this brings out the smoky, savoury flavours of the meats
- The light acid and peppery flavour of Pinot Noir pairs well with the savouriness of the meats
- Pale ale
- Red and green grapes
- Spreads with flavours like Tomato-Chili Jam and Roasted Red Pepper
- Honey, a newly popular garnish for every charcuterie platter
More information and recipe ideas are available online at pillers.com.