- Beat butter, brown sugar and molasses together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this gradually to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Shape dough into 2 balls, wrap and chill for about an hour, up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C) and line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the first ball of dough until just over 1/8-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut out cookie shapes. Lift them carefully to the prepared trays, leaving about 1/2-inch between them. Add any scraps to the second piece of dough and repeat.
- Bake cookies for 15-18 minutes until browned a little just around the edges. Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the tray before removing to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar for an easy way to add a festive touch.
- Cookies will keep for up to 10 days in an airtight container.